Venezuela’s opposition leader Juan Guaidó asks the National Assembly to declare a state of emergency following the long-standing power outage in the country.
Since Thursday night, almost all of Venezuela has been without power in the worst and longest power outage in the country lately.
“We must deal with this disaster immediately,” Guaidó told the reporters on Sunday. On Monday, he will convene the National Assembly to a crisis meeting in which the goal is to declare a state of emergency in the country and open to international assistance.
Guaidó, as head of the National Assembly, declared himself in January as a temporary president because the National Assembly does not consider Nicolás Maduro as a legitimate president.
While Guaidó requested a state of emergency in the country, he also called for new demonstrations on Monday.
“You have the right to protest in the streets, to demand, because this regime lets Venezuelans die,” he said, asking military forces to “cover the dictator”.
According to the organization Codevida, 15 dialysis patients have died as a result of the power outage in Venezuela, which the country’s health minister rejects.
In addition, Ecuador’s Foreign Minister claims that 80 people have died as a result of the power outage, which has been denied by communications minister Jorge Rodriguez.
Claiming the generator was attacked
According to the country’s president Nicolás Maduro, 70 percent of the country’s electricity returned on Saturday, but he claims that mid-day one of the power generators has been subjected to a cyber attack. The power generator he is aiming for “worked perfectly,” and Maduro claims the cyber attack “disturbed and worsened everything we had done”.
The Venezuelan government has previously accused the Americans of being behind sabotage against a hydropower plant in Guri, supplying 80 percent of the country with electricity.
Experts, on the other hand, believe that Venezuela’s power problem is due to a lack of investment in infrastructure.