According to provincial officials, around 37 Afghan soldiers and police have been killed in recent Taliban attacks in different parts of the country.
Mohammad Yusouf Ayubi, the head of the provincial council in Kunduz province, said that at least 13 security forces were killed in an attack on a checkpoint in Dashti Archi district, with another 15 members of the security forces wounded there.
The attacks began late on Sunday and were targeted at the number of bases and checkpoints controlled by soldiers and police. They continued beyond Monday.
“There was intense fighting and we didn’t want civilian houses destroyed, or any civilian casualties,” said Provincial Police Chief General Faqir Mohammad Jawzjani.
There is no fixed number for the extent of the Afghan security forces. The observers point out that they have great difficulty in opposing the Islamist rebels without foreign aid.
It is reported that so far, 17 are killed in Farah province, 5 in the Badghis province northwest, 5 in northern Baghland province and 3 in Wardak province centrally in the country.
In Baghlan, the province’s police chief, Ekramuddin Serih, reports that Afghan forces still control the base that was attacked and that reinforcements are on their way to the district.
The war in Afghanistan demanded around 19,600 lives in 2017, according to the Uppsala Conflict Data Program (UCDP). Analysts fear that the figure may be even higher this year.